If you ever need to obtain all the conversations for migration, backup, or development, you will find that there is no direct way to do it from the UI since the extraction of such data is very delicate. Nevertheless, there is an alternative way through API to work around your requirements for retrieving conversations.
Note: With these API requests we recommend using Postman for a user-friendly tool that will help with the steps ahead.
Let us first mention that you can retrieve conversations with two options which separate them into cases and customer conversations:
- Restrict the access of information when you only need conversation details for the customer.
- Obtain extra details for internal purposes.
- To retrieve general details from the Conversations which can also be available to customers, use the information provided in our developer portal to review the Arguments and the code line to be used with Postman.
- You will have to add the code line to your URL and it will look like
https://<yourcompany>.kayako.com/api/v1/conversations.jsonto execute a Postman call. You should obtain a 200 result, which means that the request was successful.
Note: When sending an API call with Postman, make sure to add to the Authorization tab the credentials to process the request. You can use within it Basic Auth and it should get it done.
Now, to retrieve conversation from the admin/agent side we have to refer to them as Cases to obtain the rest of the conversations and advanced data.
- For Cases, you will need to change to a different API request as shown in the developer portal to use the code line that goes with advanced cases' data.
- This time you will have to add the new code line to the URL to make it look like
https://<yourcompany>.kayako.com/api/v1/cases.jsonand then execute in Postman a call with it. You should also obtain a 200 result which means that the request was successful.
Note: Do not forget to add your Basic Auth credentials in Authorization to enable the API requests in your Kayako instance.