This article provides relevant information and steps for customers to handle conversation status.
When it comes to allowing customers to see and change the status of the conversation, you will notice that you can see the conversation status from the agent's side, but within the customer's My conversations, they are not able to see any status.
The reason for this is that statuses are not for customers to manipulate; they are for the agents to better control the conversation from the business point of view, and customers have little to no action in this part. As an administrator, you want to handle the conversation in the On Hold or Pending statuses that will pause SLAs; if customers have control over this, they can break SLAs with no effort. Aside from that, they would not know what each status means, especially if there are additional ones.
The only direct control that customers have over statuses is to update a conversation: they will move it to Open. In case you need customers to view and complete conversations, you may use Triggers and Custom Fields (if you want customers to keep track and complete a conversation when required). They will have power over two of the statuses, Open and Completed. The custom fields will appear in your Help Center, and if the customer changes it, the status will change as well.
- Log in as Administrator
- Go to Agent area > Administration
- Open Custom Fields
- Create a new custom field
Note: We recommend choosing the Yes/No toggle option to avoid discrepancies in their input.
- You will be prompted with the field's options to select its behavior. Select Customers can see this field and Customers can edit this field to make it available for them.
- Within Custom Fields, edit the Status field to be visible with the other fields available to the customer's views.
- Navigate to Conversations > Forms, and add this field to the default form (or other forms of your choice).
- Create a new Trigger with the below settings:
The field will appear in the Help Center cases, and when customers select Yes for Customers Complete, the trigger will change the status of the conversation to Complete.