This article provides an insight into how the bounced emails are processed and how to look for and identify these messages in Kayako.
In Kayako, the bounced emails will also action a status change, which would appear to a user that the system reopens completed/pending cases.
Any situation blocking the messages from being accepted at the recipient's end may trigger a response that results in the bounced back message received at Kayako.
- Recipient server is experiencing issues preventing receiving the incoming email.
- A filter created by mistake that could target a specific word or phrase, hence preventing its message from completing its delivery.
How to Identify the Delivery Status.
Bounced emails can be found in the status indicator under 2 different statuses:
Steps to Reproduce It
- From the conversation timeline (https://yourcompanyname.kayako.com/agent/conversations/insertnumber, you can quickly check the status of any message you have sent to your customers. Above each message you have sent, you will see a little status indicator.
- If the status is Delivered and contains several emails included in the conversation, hover over the Delivered status to see the list of emails and their status. The ones with a red X are bounced.
Bounced Emails Impact in the Conversation Status
- Kayako automatically changes the conversation status to Open if the last reply from the agent bounces back for any reason.
- This happens to ensure that agent can reach out to the customer via other channel.
- This is the reason that the system changed the status automatically from:
- Pending to Open
- Completed to Open
Article reference: Message Status Indicators and Their Meaning.