You might wonder why a custom field is not updating when you are adding a conversation through API. This can occur if the API field key for that custom field is not included in the syntax when adding the conversation.
This article provides information about custom fields and their associated API field key in Kayako. It also explains where to locate the API field key for a custom field so that you can include it when you add a conversation through API.
field_values [API field key] = field_value
- The API field key is used for API calls in the API Key field.
- The API field key is unique to the respective custom field and is used to reference fields using the Kayako API and in Search.
Locating the API Field Key
To get the API field key of a custom field:
- Log in to Kayako and go to the Admin panel.
- Under Customizations, click Custom fields.
- Select a custom field and scroll down to the bottom. In Field settings, you will see the API field key for that custom field.
The API field key for any custom field is autogenerated by the system and cannot be edited or modified.
Once the custom field is created, this key is generated. Even if you change the custom field name, the API field key remains the same.
To learn more about API calls for Kayako, please visit our API Developer portal.