When trying to reply to the conversation using the Facebook channel, you may receive the following error "(#100) Message cannot be empty. A valid attachment or text must be provided." which prevents you from sending the message.
This article provides information on what causes the issue and how to resolve it.
The "(#100) Message cannot be empty. A valid attachment or text must be provided." error usually occurs when agents reply to the conversation via the Facebook channel and the reply contains quotes, double-quotes, or multiline text which causes losing connection between Kayako and Facebook. This is a known bug that will be fixed in the upcoming releases.
<supportagent>Bug will be fixed in KAYAKO-29472</supportagent>
Meanwhile, you can use a custom Chrome browser plugin that can help you prevent Facebook disconnections caused by invalid content in the agent replies.
- To post public replies to conversations you will need an agent account.
Chrome browser plugin cleans the text input from the user and allows them to use both the quotes and multiline text in the Facebook messages sent from Kayako.
- To use this plugin, please download and follow the instructions shared on the plugin's repository page. Please note that you'll need to refresh all the browser tabs and open the conversation again before using the plugin for the first time.
- After installing the plugin you need to click the “Clean Text” button:
And only after clicking the “Send” button:
- Do not use Ctrl+Enter hotkey to send the reply. It will break the Facebook connection.
- Make sure that the last message was sent via Facebook. Otherwise, the plugin will not enable the “Clean Text” button.
With the help of a plugin, you will be able to post replies via the Facebook channel, containing multiline text and quotes in the body, without breaking the connection between Kayako and Facebook.